Saturday, January 15, 2011

Getting to Bangor

I left from Des Moines Wednesday morning. I don't know if I was more nervous about going to Wales or for my first time flying. Fortunately, the flight from Des Moines to Chicago was smooth and on time. I wish I could say the same thing for the flight from Chicago to Manchester however. Instead, the plane arrived an hour late; and then once we loaded and where ready to leave we had to go back to the gate because a fuel light or something came on. We ended up sitting on the plane for two hours before they fixed it. I was so exhausted from the day that by the time we left all I wanted to do was eat and sleep.

My spirits lifted when we got there though. It was like a misty spring day in Iowa. The grass was green, and I was warm in just a t-shirt and my fleece. We arrived in Bangor early afternoon on Thursday and scoped the town out. Bangor is kind of in the mountains so the whole town is on the side of a large hill. The streets are narrow and the sidewalks are only a foot away from speeding cars. The town is broken up into Upper and Lower Bangor with our flats is Upper and most the shops in Lower. To get between the two sections one must walk a very steep path. We were forewarned of this road, but we did not realize how steep it truly was until we had to walk it ourselves. In less than the first 12 hours I had been in Bangor, my legs were already hurting.

Anyway, it has been a blast so far. We have pretty much just been buying supplies and phones, checking out the local restaurants, and wandering around town. Our first field trip is Sunday where I will get to visit one of many castles. I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment